Student Visas

Everything you need to know.

Send these four additional items with your application to the school.

1. A copy of your valid passport.

Please send a copy of your passport from the country you will be getting the visa in.

2. A bank letter or financial statement indicating a minimum current balance.

This must be printed on bank letterhead and must be calculated for US currency by your bank. The financial document must be the original document as copies nor print-outs from the internet are acceptable.

A) If you are applying for the two-year art direction, copywriting, design or photography program the current balance indicated must be at least $32,000 US.

B). If you are applying for one of the 12-week Bootcamps the current balance indicated must be at least:

$8,500 US- social media

$13,000 US- account planning

C.) If you are applying to the master’s program, your visa will be supplied through FIU. Please contact them for their instructions.

3. A sponsor letter if the bank account is not yours.

If the financial statement is not in your name, you’ll need a letter from the person whom is listed on the bank statement. This is your sponsor. You may have more than one sponsor. If the bank statement is in your name, you can skip this requirement. The sponsor letter must be the original as copies are not acceptable.

4. Official TOEL score.

Scores must be a minimum of 550/PBT, 213/CBT, or 80/IBT. Miami Ad School – Miami’s TOEFL code is 3023. Occasionally, this component is waived. Contact your admissions advisor if your English language ability can be clearly demonstrated in both written and oral form.

After you are accepted to the school we will send you your I-20 visa form.
Then follow these three steps to get your M-1 student visa.

1. Login to the Immigration & Customs Enforcement website to fill out a SEVIS form 1-901.

Go to

Click “Submit Form I-901 and Fee Payment.”

Choose “Form I-20” and click OK.

Enter your surname and first name as it appears on your I-20 and passport as well as the SEVIS ID number on the top right of your form I-20.

2. Pay the fee and print your receipt.

At the American Embassy or Consulate you will be required to show proof the $200 USD fee is paid. If you are a Canadian citizen you have completed the process. Just save and present your receipt with your I-20 when you enter the U.S. All other nationalities proceed to Step 3.

3. Contact your American Embassy or Consulate to make an appointment.

Be sure to inquire early about all the needed documentation required for this appointment. You will need to complete the DS-160 visa application. Provide only what is required. There will be a fee for the M-1 visa, so you’ll want to ask what this cost is when setting up your appointment. When you have your appointment at the American Embassy or Consulate you will need to leave your passport in order for them to add to it your approved M-1 student visa.

* If you are a Canadian Citizen, you are not required to complete this step.

When the American Embassy or Consulate returns your passport make sure all the information on your M-1 student visa is accurate. Make sure you have been issued an M-1 visa and not an F-1 visa. (The consulates and embassies on occasion issue the wrong visa.) If your student visa is an F-1, it is incorrect and you will need to have it corrected at the embassy or consulate to an M-1 visa. You may not study at Miami Ad School @ Portfolio Center on an F-1 visa.

Common questions from international students:

Why is my visa for one year but the program is two years?

Since Miami Ad School is an M-1 school, the Form I-20 can only be issued for one year. In your second year you need to get a new Form 1-20. You will receive an email in your fourth quarter in week two and week eight telling you that you need a new Form I-20 with your options and instructions.

Can I work in the United States while I am studying?

No, the U.S. Department of Customs and Immigration does not allow students on an M-1 visa to work.

Can I work in the United States after I graduate?

In your 8th quarter you are eligible to file for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT allows you to work in the United States for up to six months after you graduate. This can give you an opportunity to interview for jobs and work with the agency that hired you who will help you apply for a work visa. Note: You must have a bachelor’s degree to obtain a work visa.

Is there financial aid for international students?

The United States Government does not extend student loans to international students. But, if you’re Swedish, you’re in luck as the Swedish Government provides financial support to its citizens studying abroad.

Questions? Contact our International Student Advisor

Cheryl Seichrist
305.538.3193 ext: 1005
Fax: 305.538.3724

Pin It on Pinterest